I would like to try an experiment. I would like to see how a raid goes if no one were allowed to run Recount or Skada during any of the fights. After a great deal of thought and observation, I have been able to trace most raid failures back to raiders – and particularly DPS – being overly concerned about their meters.
Which is stupid.
But let’s count the ways, shall we?
- Most famously: standing in the bad. Hey, it’s super hard to pay attention to your feet when your eyes are locked with a lover’s intensity on those meters.
- Failing to switch targets when they’re supposed to. Hey, it’s super hard to care about the life of your healer when you are so close to taking the top spot on those meters.
- Causing bad things to happen in the middle of your raid group, like chaining Ice Tombs. What? You want me to stop DPS and move? Are you fucking mad?
- AoEing when a single target needs to be burned. But there are lots of them! I should hit them all! It doesn’t matter to me that one of them will explode if not killed in a timely fashion near the end of their life. I’m on the top of the meters and the healers just need more to do! So they can top their meters because that’s all that matters!
And then there are the healers.
- I just had to snipe heals from the other healers. So even though I’m a tank healer, my tank died because I ran oom, trying to beat that rotten tree over there to the punch on the rest of the raid. It’s okay though, because I’m at the top of the meters and I look great.
Yup, down with meters! I’ll let you know how it goes.