Hope everyone has a very merry Christmas! Here is my gift to you:
They were talking about a boobie run to naxx tonight
Elfy: right, or it was a Freudian slip
Azzy: I would top honestly
Topless naxx woooooooo
Elfy: i don’t want to go if it’s a noobie run, was interested in the boobie run
i have no noobies that can go
- Freak out over vent because you’re dying
- Attempt to call out instructions when you’re not the damned raid leader
- Point out the bloody obvious like I’m too damn stupid to know that tanks need healing
- I mean, seriously, no shit? I thought healers were there for looks
- Decide to blow your special abilities or call for someone else to do so (see prior post)
- Think you’re somehow more special than anyone else in the guild and can bring whatever alt you choose to a raid (see prior posts)
- Don’t laugh at my stupid jokes
- Talk over me when I am trying to distribute loot
- Ask me hours before the raid starts what we’re doing on a quickie night. How would I know? There are factors that can throw the best laid plans into utter disarray
- Settle. Guess what? No one ever reaches a point with their main character where they can shrug and stop trying to be better
- Don’t sign up and then act offended when you don’t get to go
- Sign up at the last minute and then act offended when you don’t get to go
- Pretend to not understand the basic building blocks of raid composition and act offended if you don’t get to go
- Tell me over and over that we need to get an alt run together for the weekly raid. What prevents you from organizing that?
- Give me ultimatums. I piss on your ultimatums
Fuck you. I’m going back to arcane.
Alas: Good luck with that one
Alas: Oh, man, what a jerk
Noxy: well.. no. not true. he didn’t server xfer with the rest of us
Alas: Think he might be convinced? Will you have to throw money at him?
Noxy: idk.. maybe. been eying one in lfg for a while
Alas: Might be best to get a new one – those former quitters have no loyalty
Noxy: true story. on that note.. imma go see if i can down that boos :)
Noxy: maybe that too
Noxy: see ya
Alas: ps- this is going on the blog like right now
So, yes, this is a place for me to blow off steam and that’s valuable and good.
But it should also be a place for me to catalog all the good and wonderful and fantastic times I have nearly every day with this group of people who has become a second family to me. Sure, there’s the occasional bratty cousin that needs to have his nose punched in, but by and large, these are great people and I wouldn’t trade most of them for all the shiny gold and titles and achievement points in the game. Here are some reasons they are so great:
They’re generous. With their time, with their assistance, with their listening ears and sympathy. I’ve even seen many of them be generous with their gold.
They’re funny. I seriously need to get better at capturing screenshots of some of the hilarious crap they come up with in chat. And perhaps start recording them in Vent?
They’re genuine. There’s really not a whole lot of tip-toeing around the bush with these people. If they think I am acting like a snob, they’ll ask me what I’ve got stuck up my butt. I’ve returned the favor a few times. There’s no pretense in their concern that our relationship is intact and they’ve been honest when I’ve approached them over similar issues.
They’re smart. Really smart. Many of them work in IT or IT-related fields. Since I fell into the same area by some stupid fluke (I honestly don’t know much about computers and their mysterious inner workings), they have patiently put up with my “Hey, stupid question…” pokes in the middle of our workdays. I have also learned a lot about managing people and being more effective in my communication from folks who do those things for a living.
They care. We’ve talked about everything from bad dates to family issues to jobs we hate and people who have insulted us. These conversations will often get referenced back to at some point or another, proving that they remember and they care enough to ask how a specific situation is going.
They make sure we all stay humble. Honestly, I sometimes think they have done more to keep my massive ego in check than what is really needful. There is a daily exchange of good-natured jabs and pokes that we can all laugh about. I’ll go out of my way to share ‘nub moments’ with them just because it’s so much more fun to laugh at myself with someone else.
They are patient. Duuuude, are they patient. They let me talk, lead raids, boss people around, fail tank, fail heal, and occasionally fail dps (I like to think I don’t normally fail at dps, but I’m sure I’ve had my moments). They wade through the mountains of crap I post to the forums and several of them even wade through this and comment here and in gchat and in game. I fail and flail a lot – more so when I’ve had a bit to drink, which may or may not happen often – and they put up with it all and even, sometimes, tell me I’m doing a good job.
Those are just a few reasons I love them. I might have to do this again after another string of “But leadering is haaaaaard work! Why doesn’t anyone get that?” self-indulgent crap. Because I’m pretty sure that they do get it and will continue to be awesome about it.